Sunday, February 6, 2011

They Grow Up So Fast


You couldn’t really put The Epilogues into one stylistic category because their influences seem to be endless, and although I am sure a few of them stand out, their sound is THEIR sound. The best bands don’t need to hide their influences, or refute the notion that they are just as likely to be inspired by another musician just like the rest of us. In fact the best can take those things they love most about their influences and reformulate them in a fresh way, which is what The Epilogues have done.

The Epilogues first record The Beautiful, the Terrifying is brilliant and the only criticism I had was that I wished it were longer. It left you wanting more. So I decided to see them live and was impressed yet again. They had amazing energy, a cool live setup, and that sound translated so well in a live setting. I raved to any family member or friend that would indulge me in the opportunity to talk about them. When I emailed the band to ask if they would be interested in me filming a few shows, and maybe putting some sort of documentary about them together, I had prepared myself for a brush-off. They responded very positively and we arranged to have dinner and talk. They exceeded my expectations by being the absolute, most genuine and kind people you are likely to meet.

Over a year later they are still the same group of kindhearted guys, only word is spreading exponentially about how great they are. They have been winners of 93.3’s Hometown for the Holidays and Westword’s local music competition. They have been put into regular rotation on 93.3 and frequently end up #1 on their top 8 at 8. They put out a kick-ass split with another great band The Photo Atlas, and an excellent video for the song Hunting Season that was directed by Dillon Novak of Montauk Media. This past year they played Red Rocks and The Mile High Music Festival on top of staying active playing gigs around town, touching base with old fans, attracting new ones, taking the time to talk with everyone. They are gaining more and more confidence with every new experience, and the peeks we get of material from their upcoming album leave us salivating.

I am a mere music lover who was inspired so much by The Epilogues to do my part in not only spreading the word about them, but our entire local scene. There are other people with more credibility, like Kyle Galanaugh of the band Politic who will stump for them as well. He says,
“The Epilogues are doing what they LOVE. And I love them for it and hope their bold sound inspires other local acts. I know they have inspired Politic”
Or how about Nerf of 93.3 who has been a huge champion of the band who said this:
“The Epilogues are a band that get better with every song they write. It's been exciting to say the least watching them grow from a band packed with potential, to a band ready, willing and able to deliver on a national and international stage. With all bands, it's not enough to be good, relevant, and ready... it takes a song... THAT song. The one that will cut through the clutter and make the band matter instantly to anyone who hears it. The Epilogues have that song with Hunting Season,
and have more in the chamber. Our audience is eating it up and asking for more, and I'm happy to give them second helpings. Anyone who has seen them live knows that the band is for real, and I'm more than happy to back them 100%”

Well said!

These guys are my friends, and as much as I would love to continue to see them locally on a frequent basis, it is time to share them with the rest of the country, and ultimately the world. The Epilogues are Denver in all their individuality and brilliance!

p.s. Chris… I am still waiting for my acoustic version of The Fallout! ☺

Buy all their releases below on Itunes. You won't regret it!! Also make sure you check them out Feb 26th @ The Gothic, click here for tickets.

The Beautiful, the Terrifying - The Epilogues
The Friendship EP - The Epilogues
The Fallout - Single - The Epilogues

And check out these videos:






No comments:

Post a Comment